[systemd-devel] Mount units with After=autofs.service cause ordering cycles

John Florian john at doubledog.org
Mon Oct 14 20:23:20 UTC 2019

So, I much prefer the expressiveness of systemd's mount units to the
naive era of /etc/fstab, but I've found one situation where I seem to
always get stuck and am never able to find a reliable solution that
survives OS (Fedora & CentOS) updates.  I have a NFS filesystem mounted
by autofs at /pub that needs to be bind mounted in various places such
as /var/www/pub and /var/ftp/pub. So I create a unit that looks like:

~~~

# /etc/systemd/system/var-www-pub.mount
[Unit]
Description=mount /pub served via httpd
Requires=autofs.service
After=autofs.service

[Mount]
What=/mnt/pub
Where=/var/www/pub
Options=bind,context=system_u:object_r:httpd_sys_content_t

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

~~~

The above worked for a long time, but once again a `dnf upgrade` seems
to have broken things because now I have a ordering cycle that systemd
must break.  Since I haven't changed my mount units, my ability to mesh
with those shipped by the OS proves fragile. I'm deliberately avoiding
too much detail here because it would seem that there should be a
relatively simple solution to this general sort of task -- I just can't
seem to discover it.  Any recommendations that don't involve an entirely
different approach?