[systemd-devel] DHCP Server on multiple interfaces

Martin Townsend mtownsend1973 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 15:55:08 UTC 2019

Hi,

Does systemd support the networkd DHCP Server on multiple network
interfaces.  I ask as we have an embedded system running systemd 239
and we want to configure a DHCP server on a bluetooth PAN and one of
the Ethernet interfaces both of which are used for configuring the
device.

I've set up both the network files with
[Network]
DHCPServer=yes

[DHCPServer]
PoolOffset=10
PoolSize=10
DefaultLeaseTimeSec=12h
MaxLeaseTimeSec=24h

When trying to connect to the bluetooth PAN I get
Oct 17 15:28:39 vasig-imx6ul-txul-emmc systemd-networkd[307]: Failed
to determine timezone: Invalid argument
Oct 17 15:28:39 vasig-imx6ul-txul-emmc systemd-networkd[307]: pan0:
Could not start DHCPv4 server instance: Device or resource busy
Oct 17 15:28:39 vasig-imx6ul-txul-emmc systemd-networkd[307]: pan0: Failed

The message " pan0: Could not start DHCPv4 server instance: Device or
resource busy" seems to suggest that only one server instance is
allowed.  Weirdly the device connecting did get an ip address.  But if
I look at the status of the pan0 I see:

root at vasig-imx6ul-txul-emmc:~# networkctl status pan0
● 4: pan0
       Link File: /lib/systemd/network/99-default.link
    Network File: /etc/systemd/network/30-pan0-bridge.network
            Type: bridge
           State: routable (failed)
          Driver: bridge
      HW Address: 82:2f:45:2a:9c:5a
         Address: 192.168.10.1

eth0 is named such that it should be configured before the pan0.

Best Regards,
Martin.