[systemd-devel] RFC: luksSuspend support in sleep/sleep.c

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Oct 31 16:50:03 UTC 2019

On Do, 10.10.19 12:01, Tim Dittler (tim.dittler at systemli.org) wrote:

> > So what's your story on the UI stack? Do you intend to actually copy
> > the full UI stack into the ramdisk? If not, what do you intend to do
> > instead?
> >
> > Lennart
>
> Thank you for your feedback, Lennart. To be honest, the UX of the
> operation has been a secondary concern for us so far. We're basically
> exploring what is possible atm. Our current approach is to re-use the
> initramfs which was used during boot before. This doesn't include
> X11/wayland. While it would be great to make the suspension as smooth as
> possible, I think there is also a place for people who *really* want a
> whole encrypted disk during suspend and are okay to jump through a few
> hoops for that.

Well, but if you have no way to acquire the password you are in
trouble. You have to think about the UX at some point.

You'd have to rework systemd-suspend.service (and similar services) to
transition to your initrd fully, then run systemd-sleep from there I
figure and then maybe have a drop-in /usr/lib/systemd/system-sleep/
that unlocks the root fs. But it's not going to be nice if there's no
UI support.

Lennart Poettering, Berlin