[systemd-devel] networkd - how to (partially) manage OpenVPN interfaces?

Marc Haber mh+systemd-devel at zugschlus.de
Mon Sep 16 10:54:24 UTC 2019

Hi,

when I run an OpenVPN interface, OpenVPN manages the interface itself:
It handles creation, destruction and assignment of the IP address. The
IP address can be controlled by the remote site, so the OpenVPN daemon
is kind of the only thing that can configured the Interface.

I would, however, like systemd-resolved to ask DNS servers that are
reachable over the VPN for certain domains, such as ka51.zugschlus.de.

Dumping a tun0.network containing:
[Match]
Name=tun0

[Network]
Domains=~ka51.zugschlus.de
DNS=2a01:238:4071:3281::35:100
DNS=2a01:238:4071:328e::35:100
DHCP=no
IPv6AcceptRA=no

into /e/s/n doesn't work since that clears up the IP addresses that
OpenVPN has correctly assigned.

Can I have the advantages of systemd-resolved on an Interface that is
not fully managed by systemd-networkd?

Greetings
Marc