[systemd-devel] Make systemd-localed modify the kernel commandline for the initrd keymap?

Javier Martinez Canillas javierm at redhat.com
Fri Sep 27 09:30:35 UTC 2019

Hello Hans,

On 9/27/19 10:20 AM, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 26-09-2019 14:13, Alberto Ruiz wrote:
>> Hello Hans,
>>
>> Thanks for starting this discussion.
>>
>> Looking at this from a Fedora/Dracut POV, I think we should look at this as the start of implementing a configuration-only initramfs, (something Matthew Garret has been advocating for a while) rather than making this a vconsole.conf/plymouth specific solution.
>
> Yes there seems to be consensus that the best way to handle this is using an overlay initramfs.
>
> Let me copy and paste my comment on the silverblue issue about this here:
>
> "So my plan for regular Fedora for this is as follows:
>
> 1. Have a /boot/initramfs-config.img which for now will just contain /etc/vconsole.conf (chances are this will get more files added over time)
> 2. Modify mkbls from /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/20-grub.install to add an initrd line for this image to the generated bls .conf file if the image is present
> 3. Add a new update-config-initramfs command to the install-kernel script, which generates /boot/initramfs-config.img
> 4. Make systemd-localed call "install-kernel update-config-initramfs: on locale (and keymap) setting changes"

That sounds good to me. One comment is that as mentioned in my previous email
Petitboot doesn't support having multiple initrds. That's because it kexecs a
kernel and the kexec_file_load(2) syscall only allows to pass a single initrd
file descriptor.

So you should check if arch is ppc64le and /sys/firmware/opal exists in the
20-grub.install script and only add the config initrd if that's not the case.

At least until Petitboot gets support for multiple initrds. In the meantime
it will just use the /etc/vconsole.conf if exists in the initramfs, which is
the current situation.

> I am waiting for feedback from the silverblue people to see if this will also
> work for them. If they are happy with this then I plan to start implementing
> this when I'm done with the plymouth keyboard layout indicator stuff.
>
> Regards,
>
> Hans

Best regards,
--
Javier Martinez Canillas
Software Engineer - Desktop Hardware Enablement