[systemd-devel] Requested transaction contradicts existing jobs: start is destructive

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi
Mon Apr 27 19:59:11 UTC 2020

On Mon, 2020-04-27 at 11:40 +0100, Mark Bannister wrote:
> I'm not sure where to begin to troubleshoot the problem.  The systemd
> error is occurring sporadically and I haven't yet found a way to
> reproduce it.  I also can't say I actually understand the error
> message or what I'm supposed to do about it.  How is it even possible
> for stop and start jobs to clash like this?

See the systemctl documentation for the --job-mode option. Basically
this should be due to an external request from somewhere to start the
unit while systemd is in the middle of processing a previously started
stop command for it.

The log messages suggest that this might be related to trying to start
a new ssh session while the per-user slice is still being shut down
after closing all previous login sessions; I'm not familiar enough with
this area to tell how things are supposed to work in this situation.