[systemd-devel] Does automatic boot assessment work for Type #2 EFI Unified Kernel Images?

Arian Van Putten arian at wire.com
Wed Aug 5 23:14:46 UTC 2020

Hey List,

I am reading
https://systemd.io/BOOT_LOADER_SPECIFICATION/
and
https://systemd.io/AUTOMATIC_BOOT_ASSESSMENT/

I want to use Type 2 unified images because of SecureBoot. But I want a
2-partition model a-la CoreOS, where I rollback when the node isn't
healthy.  I wanted to use automatic boot assessment to implement this
mechanism.  Where I have 2 EFI images in $BOOT/loader/entries/; one loading
the first partition in its cmdline; and the other loading the second
partition in its cmdline.  But then I noticed that
https://systemd.io/AUTOMATIC_BOOT_ASSESSMENT/ only talks about files in
$BOOT/loader/entries/   and not $boot/EFI/Linux/

Does this mean automatic boot assessment doesn't work for Type #2 entries?
Or will it work for that as well if I name my EFI images in a similar
naming scheme as the entries in $BOOT/loader/entries

If not; is there a good reason why not and is it something that is worth
implementing?

Kind regards,

Arian

--

*Zeta Project Germany GmbH  *l  Rosenthaler Straße 40,
<https://maps.google.com/?q=Rosenthaler+Stra%C3%9Fe+40,%C2%A0+10178+Berlin,%C2%A0+Germany&entry=gmail&source=g>10178

Geschäftsführer/Managing Director: Morten J. Broegger, Dylan Riley

HRB 149847 beim Handelsregister Charlottenburg, Berlin

VAT-ID DE288748675