[systemd-devel] I/O error on "systemctl kill -s HUP rsyslog.service"

Harald Dunkel harald.dunkel at aixigo.com
Tue Aug 11 12:14:29 UTC 2020

Hi folks,

sending a HUP to rsyslog using the "systemd way" gives me an error:

	# systemctl kill -s HUP rsyslog.service
	Failed to kill unit rsyslog.service: Input/output error

rsyslog receives the signal, but the exit value of systemctl indicates
an error, affecting the logrotate service.

This is a LXC container (lxc 4.0.2). Host and container are running
Debian 10, esp. systemd 241-7~deb10u4. See https://bugs.debian.org/968049

Every helpful hint is highly appreciated.

Harri