[systemd-devel] 'PIDFile=' warning and override.conf

Richard Hector richard at walnut.gen.nz
Tue Aug 25 23:26:46 UTC 2020

Hi all,

I've got the common warning:

/lib/systemd/system/fail2ban.service:12: PIDFile= references path below
legacy directory /var/run/, updating /var/run/fail2ban/fail2ban.pid →
/run/fail2ban/fail2ban.pid; please update the unit file accordingly.

I made the change in the relevant override.conf file, but that doesn't
seem to work. Changing the 'real' one in /lib/systemd/system works.

Is that how it's supposed to be?

I'm using debian buster, with systemd package version 241-7~deb10u4

Cheers,
Richard