[systemd-devel] Issue regarding running systemd under a container

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sat Dec 19 10:37:46 UTC 2020

On Fr, 16.10.20 13:09, Atul Singh (atullh at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hello systemd-devel,
>
> I am working to dockerize the buildroot based rootfs.
> While dockerization if I run the container with privilege mode am able to
> run the container and it works fine.
>
> But, when I try to run/restart other containers I get the below error
> message during docker run.
>
> Please advise how to resolve this issue.

Maybe contact the Docker people. THis is the wrong mailing list for
docker questions really. I for one have no idea what you posted below.

We document the requirements we make on container managers here:

https://systemd.io/CONTAINER_INTERFACE

I think Docker doesn't implement them by default, because they dislike
systemd or  generally don't want to play nice. Consider using podman
or so, they are a friendlier bunch.

You might be able to adjust your docker config to implement some of
the bits listed in CONTAINER_INTERFACE manually. Sucks this is
necessary though.

I tried to be nice and actually determine the necessary settings in
Docker and document them somewhere myself, but when I looked at that
Docker was stuck on cgroupsv1 times, and I couldn't be bothered to
revert to that. I have the suspicion Docker is generally considered
legacy software at this point, and the reimplementations (podman, …)
are probably the better replacements to focus on.

Lennart Poettering, Berlin