[systemd-devel] Services with multiple pre-requisites

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Dec 21 15:31:57 UTC 2020

On Mo, 21.12.20 14:43, freedesktop at priatel.co.uk (freedesktop at priatel.co.uk) wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have two "primary" services running on a Linux server with `systemd` that
> may be started at approximately the same time, or could just as easily be
> started days apart. When started, they take a few seconds to reach "ready"
> state, and can signal that readiness however I choose.
>
> I have a third (and fourth, fifth, etc...) service which:
>   * must not start before both Service 1 & Service 2 are ready
>   * must start as soon as possible once both Service 1 & Service 2 are ready
>   * must be stopped as soon as possible if either Service 1 or Service 2
> terminates

Did I get this right: service 3 is not supposed to pull in services 1
+ 2, but just be activated as side-effect of those services being
activated? i.e. the activation of service 1 and 2 need to happen first
and they are the trigger for service 3, but besides that noone ever
asks for service 3?

If so, it appears to me a Wants= dep from services 1 and 2 on 3 would
make sense, plus a Requisite= dep in the other direction.

Lennart Poettering, Berlin