[systemd-devel] systemd encfs mount

Kovács Gábor gabor at splitter.hu
Sun Feb 23 13:39:29 UTC 2020

Dear systemd team,

I stuck with this problem, where I am unable to successfully mount an
encfs dir via systemd service. (in reverse mode for backup)
A simple bind mount works, but encfs not. Seemingly everything is ok: no
error, zero exit status,
the encfs command runs and give the same output if I add verbose, but
the mount doesn't appear.

I wrote a simple test service which calls a simple shellscript.

/etc/systemd/system/test.service
[Service]
ExecStart=/root/x
/root/x
#!/bin/bash
echo a | encfs -S --standard --reverse /tmp/a /tmp/b

If I run the script by hand, it works. If i run systemctl start test, it
doesn't.

Also tried adding an entry to fstab (with noauto) and use the mount
command, the result is the same: works by hand, and doesn't via service.

Tried on:
systemd 232 kernel: 4.9.0-9-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.168-1+deb9u3
systemd 242 (242.153-3-manjaro) kernel: 5.4.18-1-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT

Could you help me out with this?

Regards,

Gabor.