[systemd-devel] Antw: Re: Antw: [EXT] Infinite loop at startup on var fsck failure

Ulrich Windl Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Wed Feb 26 09:55:40 UTC 2020

<CAGWsdOgAep0+kVNsmsnLaLTNZB9sLUGHMmXDU2+UhgOO0SroOw at mail.gmail.com>:

>> Nachricht
>>
> <7343_1582589314_5E546582_7343_4690_1_20200225000143.nowls5peec5sxg7v at shells.g
> nu
>>
>> eneration.com>:
>> > Hello list,
>> >
>> > Today I experienced an unclean shutdown due to battery dying unexpectedly,
>> > and it left my /var in a state requiring a manual fsck to repair errors.
>>
>> I wonder: Shouldn't be a fsck just be a journal reply these days? For ext >=3
>> this should be quite fast. ReiserFS was rather slow several years ago (it
> did
>> replay too much IMHO), but haven't used it the last five years.
>>

>> > The normal startup process failed and dropped me to a rescue shell after
>> > asking for my root password.  But I was unable to immediately run fsck
>> > manually, because systemd was endlessly trying to fsck /var.
>>
>> That's not a problem of fsck.
>

> I suspect that the real problem is, that fsck failed to fix the file
> system, so as a result, systemd tried repeatedly to start the fsck job
> for /var as var.mount was pulled in as a dependency (e.g. for
> journald).

The exit code should help:
       The exit code returned by fsck is the sum of the following conditions:
            0    - No errors
            1    - File system errors corrected
            2    - System should be rebooted
            4    - File system errors left uncorrected
            8    - Operational error
            16   - Usage or syntax error
            32   - Fsck canceled by user request
            128  - Shared library error