[systemd-devel] Service fails to start with no log messages

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Jan 7 01:56:01 UTC 2020

Am 07.01.20 um 02:42 schrieb Jeffrey Walton:
> On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 8:34 PM Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
>>
>> Am 07.01.20 um 02:28 schrieb Jeffrey Walton:
>>> I'm trying to determine my service fails to start. I copied the
>>> service to the systemd unit directory, and then enabled and started
>>> the service. Upon reboot the service is not started automatically.
>>>
>>> Here are the logs:
>>
>> Jan 06 20:25:33 raspberrypi systemd[1]: graphical.target: Job
>> callboot-ui.service/start deleted to break ordering cycle starting
>> with graphical.target/start
>>
>> you have some conflicting After/Before ordering which is impossible to
>> solve automatically, it's that simple
>
> But there is no ordering problem. callboot-ui.service is not related
> to callboot-monitor.service. callboot-ui.service is a Qt program and
> front-end to the LCD screen. callboot-monitor.service is a command
> line program that waits for reads of the modem.
>
> The only thing they have in common is they use the same database.

frankly "to break ordering cycle starting with graphical.target" and
your "callboot-monitor.service" has "Wants=graphical.target" and you
call that "not releated"?

Especially the "Wants" is problematic and noramlly not needed for
enabled services, normally your only use After/NBefore unless there is a
compelling resason for Wants/Requires and with growing useless
dependencies you add to your units problems gow

perfomance wise because you break parallel starts for no benefit and
because of such unsolveable cycles if you obviously don't understand
what you define becaus eotherwise you won't have After/Before/wants in
combinations which are impossible

and to your other post "5 seconds after all systems services have
actually started" is something which simply don#t exist and can't exist
at all

fix your orderings and your problems are gone