[systemd-devel] Service fails to start with no log messages

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Jan 7 13:27:46 UTC 2020

On Mo, 06.01.20 20:46, Jeffrey Walton (noloader at gmail.com) wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 8:34 PM Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
> >
> > Am 07.01.20 um 02:28 schrieb Jeffrey Walton:
> > > I'm trying to determine my service fails to start. I copied the
> > > service to the systemd unit directory, and then enabled and started
> > > the service. Upon reboot the service is not started automatically.
> > >
> > > Here are the logs:
> >
> > Jan 06 20:25:33 raspberrypi systemd[1]: graphical.target: Job
> > callboot-ui.service/start deleted to break ordering cycle starting
> > with graphical.target/start
> >
> > you have some conflicting After/Before ordering which is impossible to
> > solve automatically, it's that simple
>
> Maybe I can try this... How do I tell Systemd to use After= and Wants=
> such that "5 seconds after all systems services have actually
> started"?

Such a concept does not exist. I mean your service is a system
service itself, so what is that even supposed to mean that the service
shall start 5s after it already started? But even if you mean to say
"5s after all other services", then think how that falls apart if you
have multiple services declaring that.

hence, in systemd there's no concept for that. Instead you are
supposed to properly order your units and declare the exact ordering
you rely on and not less nor more.

Lennart Poettering, Berlin