[systemd-devel] systemd-journald, syslog.socket and service activation

Thomas HUMMEL thomas.hummel at pasteur.fr
Thu Jul 2 18:28:46 UTC 2020

On 02/07/2020 19:00, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:

> After=syslog.socket will exist only if rsyslog.service is aliased to
> syslog.service and your problem was when you removed this alias.

Correct (I did miss this simple thing) !

> On boot activation of syslog.socket happens much earlier than activation
> of rsyslog.service which gives systemd enough time to register failure
> of syslog.socket.

hmmm, but since like you said above the After dependency was not taken
into account as there is no alias, registering failure should not
prevent rsyslog to be activated (at boot, it end up being dead) ?

> When you start them manually both jobs are submitted
> at the same time so activation of rsyslog.service has already happened
> when activation of syslog.socket fails. It is already too late for "this
> unit will not be started".

I didn't though indeed about these timing diffrences but, again, without
the After= having any effect, it should not matter, should it ?

So I'm still convinces I'm missing something obvious...

Thanks for your help

--
Thomas HUMMEL