[systemd-devel] Antw: [EXT] Re: vt220 default for serial console still relevant?

Ulrich Windl Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Wed Jul 15 08:00:40 UTC 2020

>>> Christopher Cox <ccox at endlessnow.com> schrieb am 14.07.2020 um 22:04 in
Nachricht <a8468fe0-d942-8d18-3667-fb2dd83ddc4c at endlessnow.com>:

[...]
> Btw, as weird as it sounds, where I work today, and I'm not the network
> admin,
> the network admin has purchased a ssh to serial console controller with
> callback
> modem.  And he's in his early 30's.
[...]

At the time we had "real servers" (TM) we also had a Cyclades AlterPath ACS "Console Server".
The major benefit was when the server had crashed that the console server did capture all the terminal output of the server (serial console, of course) to its memory buffer.
So I could inspect what was happening even after a reboot when the messages had exceeded the physical terminal's scrollback buffer.
The console server could even detect a specific panic message and send an Email or SNMP trap when seeing such in the input...

Oh yeah: These days are gone and it's all completely off-topic...

Regards,
Ulrich