[systemd-devel] nested x-systemd.automount - parent always mounted

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Jul 28 10:05:10 UTC 2020

On Di, 28.07.20 02:02, Reindl Harald (h.reindl at thelounge.net) wrote:

> Hi
>
> is this a kernel limitation or could systemd act better by *not* mount
> /boot unconditional becasue of the inherited /boot/efi?

I think the kernel could theoretically support that, but we don't
right now, and I am not sure the usecase is strong enough, since it
makes idle detection pretty weird too...

It's one of the reasons why we recommend to mount the ESP to /efi and
not submount it into /boot (why would one even, it's so weird that
many Linux distros do that...). It's also what
systemd-gpt-auto-generator does by default...

My recommendation: mount the ESP to /efi, and maybe add a symlink from
/boot/efi → /efi, which makes things work with old code that insists
that the ESP must be available in /boot/efi...

Lennart Poettering, Berlin