[systemd-devel] Antw: Re: Antw: [EXT] Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: ExecStop doesn't get called when service crashes

Ulrich Windl Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Wed Jun 10 12:50:20 UTC 2020

Nachricht <2556aec7-0a35-ef09-ff05-e33cba1f1a0f at thelounge.net>:

>> Nachricht

<24655_1591772239_5EE0844E_24655_111_1_4d778c1b‑9150‑c64e‑574b‑e5beb1b68d6a at thel
>> unge.net>:

>>> status is also success. Please find the output below. Still, ExecStop
> doesn't
>>> get invoked. I tried replacing it with ExecStopPost, it gets invoked
>>> successfully.  But, ExecStopPost cannot be used, since it gets invoked on

>>> failed cases too.
>>>
>>> your subject "ExecStop doesn't get called when service crashes" simply
>>> makes no sense at all then  because that's what a failed case is
>>
>> Interesting case: Would FailureAction= be called then?
>
> when the main prcoess crashes surely, that's what it's all about but
> none of the actions are appealing for most services :‑)

Sorry, I missed to recognize that the actions are not user-difinable, but from
a set of pre-configured actions.

Maybe a ExecFailurePost= (Action to perform _after_ a failure (unexpected end
of service) was detected) is needed ;-)