[systemd-devel] Recommended shutdown method

Jay.Burger at fujitsu.com Jay.Burger at fujitsu.com
Wed Mar 4 19:48:46 UTC 2020

All,

I have a debate going on over which is the best way to recommend to
a development organization how to design a service shutdown. There are two
camps.

1.       Use the ExecStop with an additional process that needs to ipc to the services

main pid and wait for a response.

2.       Use the SigTerm that systemd sends to the main pid which can use a "quit" flag

that the main process will use to shutdown.

I know this is kind of an large issue but now that systemd is more widespread is there
any momentum in either method? If so could someone point me to examples or
documentation?

Thanks,
-Jay