[systemd-devel] Creating a roaming USB home area using homectl

Matthew Wardrop mpwardrop at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 05:07:10 UTC 2020

Greetings all,

When I heard news of systemd-homed I was excited, since it was my
understanding I'd be able to ferry only my external hard drive between home
and work during my bicycle commute, and be able to forget about user id
issues/etc. I tried to set it up, but must be missing something.

On one machine I ran:
$ sudo homectl create mawardrop --storage=luks -G docker -G wheel -G input
--image-path=/dev/sdc --shell=/usr/bin/zsh
(where /dev/sdc was my external hard drive).

Everything works well locally. I can log in, and out, and the luks image
successfully mounts and unmounts; but when I attempt to login in on a
different machine also configured with systemd-homed, I come across two
issues.

1) In order for `homectl list` to show my new home folder, I need to
restart the homed service after plugging in the hard drive. That means I
need to have it plugged in on machine boot, or log in as a different user
and restart the service, for it to show up in in the login manager.
2) Even once visible, it appears as "unfixated". Any operations on the home
area such as `authenticate` or `activate` result in the error: "Operation
on home mawardrop failed: Failed to execute operation: Key has been
revoked".

Am I just too early to the game, in that multi-machine setups are not yet
supported? Or is there something obvious I am missing?

Best,