[systemd-devel] systemd-timesyncd - use unprivileged ports

Michael Chapman mike at very.puzzling.org
Thu Mar 12 07:29:07 UTC 2020

On Thu, 12 Mar 2020, Jędrzej Dudkiewicz wrote:
[...]
> And one more question: what is systemd-timedated? It seems that is
> exactly same thing, but I don't think this is true?

It's the DBus service that most bits of timedatectl talk to. timedatectl
doesn't modify system configuration directly. When you run `timedatectl
set-time ...`, for instance, it's actually systemd-timedated that changes
the system's time.

There's a bunch of reasons for this split: privilege separation is a good
idea in general; the privileged service can choose whether to perform or
deny a request according to the system's polkit configuration; other
non-timedatectl clients can have equal programmatic access to the same
time-and-date settings.

systemd-timedated doesn't actually have any relationship with
systemd-timesyncd, despite the similar name.