[systemd-devel] Stateless system - Centos8 and overlayfs on root

Preston L. Bannister preston at bannister.us
Tue Mar 31 00:47:19 UTC 2020

To be clear, I am trying to introduce the minimal change possible to Centos
8 (due to outside constraints). Also past initial/lab development, the
embedded system goes on a trailer, and operates in (network) isolation for
months or years. Not so much a CI sort of setup. Did read the 0pointer
"stateless" post, before first post here.

Mucking through the systemd startup. switching root just Before local-fs
seems to cause trouble (allowing for possible other error on my part). To
my read, perhaps I need to hack systemd-remount-fs so as to preserve the
surrounding logic. Insert the overlay *after* the root volume is picked up
from /etc/fstab, and *before* the special /{proc,dev,sys} are mounted.

At least that is my present guess.