[systemd-devel] Infinite loop at startup on var fsck failure

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Mar 31 13:32:04 UTC 2020

On Mo, 24.02.20 16:01, Vito Caputo (vcaputo at pengaru.com) wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> Today I experienced an unclean shutdown due to battery dying unexpectedly,
> and it left my /var in a state requiring a manual fsck to repair errors.
>
> The normal startup process failed and dropped me to a rescue shell after
> asking for my root password.  But I was unable to immediately run fsck
> manually, because systemd was endlessly trying to fsck /var.

Hmm, looks like a bug. It shouldn't keep retrying. Something mst
have pulled in the unit over and over again...

Any chance you can reproduce this with current systemd, and maybe
provide logs and put them into a github issue?

Or do you have logs from the case when this happened around?

Lennart Poettering, Berlin