[systemd-devel] Moving a service from one systemd slice to another..

Tomasz Torcz tomek at pipebreaker.pl
Thu May 7 07:21:24 UTC 2020

On Thu, May 07, 2020 at 08:56:24AM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:

> > > Use Slice= in the service file.
> >
> >   That would require having a service file.  I don't have it. I just have a
> > single process in session which I need to treat specially.  Thus I move
> > it to separate slice.  I have /etc/systemd/system/kodi.slice to define
> > this separate slice and resource controls for it.
>
> use "systemd-run --scope --slice=kodi.slice …" for that.

  That's not moving, that's starting a new instance.

> Really, if you muck around with the cgroup tree yourself you void all
> warranty. I mean, it's Linux you can do whatever you want, but it's
> certainly outside of how this is intended to be used, i.e. the
> cgroupsv2 "single writer" concept.
>
> Please read up on this here:
>
> https://systemd.io/CGROUP_DELEGATION
> It's documented in all length...

  From quick glance, it talks about a bit different concepts.
I'm not delegating, I'm using systemd to manage tree for me.
There are no multiple writers - only systemd (no kubernetes and such).

  But let me read this webpage carefully first.

--
Tomasz Torcz                                                       72->|   80->|
tomek at pipebreaker.pl                                               72->|   80->|