[systemd-devel] How to use systemd-repart partitions?

Tobias Hunger tobias.hunger at gmail.com
Sat May 30 08:31:05 UTC 2020

Hi Chris,

On Sat, May 30, 2020, 10:09 Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:

> Future feature for the former case:
> - Btrfs seed/sprout feature expressly supports this use case for
> replicating a seed image when destination is also Btrfs.
> # mount /dev/seed /mnt
> # btrfs device add /dev/sprout /mnt
> # mount -o remount,rw /mnt
> # btrfs device remove /dev/seed /mnt
>
> This results in replication happening, from seed to sprout device.
>
> Future feature to consider for the latter case, maybe it's more of an
> optimization:
> - ability to create btrfs subvolumes
> - ability to 'cp -a --reflink'
>
> Possibly an unaware installer just copies files over blindly. But then
> the "repart" task is to create a snapshottable layout after the fact
> without having to recopy everything.

There are lots of thkngs that could be done! That's why I would love to be
able to run a hook after partitioning or formatting!

Simple use cases  make sense to cover with explicit commands, but you just
can not add everything any user might want explicitly!

Or add in zram-generator configuration if the generator is available,
> and not worry about creating a persistent device.

How about writing a hook for that?

Best Regards,
Tobias