[systemd-devel] Query currently active journald configuration option

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Nov 9 16:09:46 UTC 2020

On Mo, 09.11.20 08:48, Andrei Borzenkov (arvidjaar at gmail.com) wrote:

> Is it possible to query configuration options in effect in running
> journald instance?

Besides the brief log output it does itself, no there's currently no
way.

We never had that because journald can't use D-Bus, because D-Bus
itself is a client to journald. However, we recently added support for
a Varlink interface, which requires no broker daemon, and hence just
works. It would make a ton of sense to extend that varlink IPC
interface to expose some information about configuration, its state
and statistics. Happy to review/merge a patch for that.

> Background - when user asks question about journald, the first
> information is current settings (like whether persistence is enabled or
> not). It needs fetching files from multiple places which varies between
> distributions (/lib vs /usr/lib). Not really user friendly and not
> possible to do with simple command.

Fetching files from /lib or /usr/lib? What precisely do you mean?

For such build-time params we expose systemd.pc as pkg-config file,
which has various paths as variables.

Lennart Poettering, Berlin