[systemd-devel] ssh.service in rescue.target

Michael Biebl mbiebl at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 17:25:39 UTC 2020

Am Mo., 9. Nov. 2020 um 18:20 Uhr schrieb Michael Biebl <mbiebl at gmail.com>:

> Am Mo., 9. Nov. 2020 um 17:12 Uhr schrieb Simon McVittie <smcv at collabora.com>:
> >
> > On Mon, 09 Nov 2020 at 09:16:05 -0500, Phillip Susi wrote:
> > > I guess I'll try masking it.
> >
> > The Debian/Ubuntu package for systemd already masks various services
> > that are superseded by something in systemd, such as procps.service and
> > rcS.service. It used to also mask all the services from initscripts,
> > but that seems to have been dropped in version 243-5.
> >
> > systemd-sysv-generator (which generates systemd service units corresponding
> > to sysv-rc services) has stopped generating units for sysv-rc services that
> > run in rcS, rc0 and rc6, but still generates units for rc1 (mapped to
> > rescue.target). killprocs runs in rc1.
> >
> > Perhaps the systemd Debian/Ubuntu package still needs to mask rc1 services
> > like killprocs, or perhaps the initscripts package should take over
> > responsibility for masking rc1 services that it ships if they are not
> > applicable to systemd,
>
> https://tracker.debian.org/news/874168/accepted-sysvinit-288dsf-5910-source-into-unstable/
>
> Masking those SysV init specific services was moved to initscripts a
> long time ago (before I dropped those masks from the systemd package).
>
> Obviously I can't speak for the Ubuntu package

I guess this is kinda moot now, given that the initscripts package was
completely removed in Ubuntu 20.10 it seems.
Fwiw, I'd be surprised if there really are any packages in 20.04 still
depending on initscripts.
Maybe just purge the package (remove is not sufficient, initscripts
being conffiles and all)