[systemd-devel] Antw: [EXT] Re: Q: logrotate and "systemctl kill -s HUP ..."

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Oct 1 07:22:37 UTC 2020

On Mi, 30.09.20 12:52, Ulrich Windl (Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de) wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Thanks for the suggestions. Before I work them out, I have a simple question
> (systemd-228 of SLES12):
> Systemd loggs quite a lot; does it log a message when it sends a signal to a
> process (or fails to do so)? If so it would help to isolate the problem. I
> could not see any message, so my guess is that the test for the PID file does
> not work as intended.

We do not log about killed processes like that no. It was supposed to
be a work-alike to the venerable unix kill comand which doesn't log
about this either.

That said, it might make sense to change that, at least log at debug
level. Please file an RFE issue on github asking for this to be added,
and we'll add it when we find the time to.

"systemctl status" should tell you what systemd considers to be the
main pid of a service however, verify that it points to the right
process. The "systemctl kill" line you are using really just then
sends a signal to that one process.

Lennart Poettering, Berlin