[systemd-devel] Systemd setting up two Microchip switch ports as individual network interfaces and then bonding them

Brian Hutchinson b.hutchman at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 12:56:23 UTC 2020

Hi,

I have my device tree exposing two Microchip KSZ9567 switch ports.  I need
to use them as individual NIC's.

I've tested the DSA driver as individual nics and they work fine.  I do
this with:

ip addr add 192.168.0.4/24 dev lan1
ip addr add 192.168.2.4/24 dev lan2

ip link set eth0 up
ip link set lan1 up
ip link set lan2 up

... but I have no clue how to do this with /etc/systemd/network scripts

The above was just testing/verifying my device tree and DSA driver and a
step toward real goal.  Once I get two of the switch ports (the only two
the hardware brings out) to act as individual NIC's my next goal is to bond
them for redundancy.

I really have no clue how to do that and have struggled to even uncover
relevant information.  The closest thing I've found is:

A discussion of DSA issues

Bonding but doesn't look like my DSA case.
https://kerlilow.me/blog/setting-up-systemd-networkd-with-bonding/#setting-up-the-bond

I tried the above link and it looked like all I did was create a switch
loop as the LED's on my switch went crazy when I connected both of my
ethernet ports.

Anyone have experience with systemd and DSA and bonding?

Regards,

Brian