[systemd-devel] Suppressing spam error messages in the system journal

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Oct 22 16:49:20 UTC 2020

Am 22.10.20 um 16:55 schrieb Dave Howorth:
> On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 15:27:58 +0200
> Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
>> Am 22.10.20 um 12:59 schrieb Lennart Poettering:

>>> Not a fan of such hacks. Fix the programs or filter during display,
>>> don't suppress at time of collection.
>>
>> it's not a matter of fan or not
>>
>> it just makes sense to filter out things one *never* want to see at
>> all instead store it
>
> I think Lennart's point is that whatever happened to cause something in
> the system to make a log entry happened, and that should be recorded.
> Even though you may never want to see such evidence somebody, somewhere
> might want it as part of an investigation, so it's better that it's
> captured and preserved. The space will eventually be reclaimed so
> there's no harm done.
>
> And as he suggests, if you never want to see it, then filter it out on
> display.

different mindshapes which shouldn't even need a long discussion, there
are people with different preferences and it's not too hard to implement
a filter

nobody needs to use it
it's not in use as default

i personally hate it that i have to apply filters at display time again
and again for stuff i don't care about

a lot fo software logs informational stuff nobody cares most of the time
and all that noise burries rellay relevant stuff - in the best case i
don't see anything at all in logs which don't need attention

again: if there is a config everyone is happy