[systemd-devel] Journal message timestamps

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Sep 4 15:59:02 UTC 2020

On Do, 27.08.20 11:33, Mark Corbin (mark at dibsco.co.uk) wrote:

> Hello
>
> I am working on time synchronisation issues at boot for systems without an
> RTC (using balenaOS on a Raspberry Pi 3) and have some questions about how
> journald assigns timestamps to log messages.
>
> When I boot my system and look at the journal I see an initial date/time for
> kernel messages, e.g. '1 June 2020 10:00:00' followed by messages with the
> 'correct' date/time once the system time has been set from another source,
> e.g. build time, NTP, etc. This means that over several reboots I have lots
> of sets of log messages from 1 June 2020 which understandably confuses the
> 'journalctl --list-boots' command. I found an issue that describes the
> problem here https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/662 and had assumed
> that there wasn't anything I could do about this.
>
> However, when running some tests on a board with Raspberry Pi OS I found
> that it didn't suffer from the same problem. RPI OS uses a 'fake-hwclock'
> service to restore the previous boot time from a file and this time gets
> applied to all messages in the journal prior to this point. I added the
> 'fake-hwclock' service to my system which resulted in the timestamps being
> correct the majority of the time, but I was still seeing some boots where
> the initial messages were showing '1 June 2020'. I eventually tracked the
> intermittent behaviour down to whether the 'fake-hwclock' time setting
> occurred in the same system log file as the initial kernel boot messages. On
> my RPI OS board the runtime journal was set to 8MB, so the date/time setting
> always occurred in the first journal file. On my system the runtime journal
> was set to 4MB, so the date/time setting was sometimes happening in the
> second journal file leaving the messages in the first file with a date of '1
> June 2020'.
>
> So my questions are...
>
> It seems that journald is using the date/time from the 'fake-hwclock'
> service to update the timestamps of earlier log messages within the same
> file. Is this correct?

No. We do not retroactively change written out records.

However, when comparing log entries we prefer the record sequence
number if two records come from the same system. And if that doesn't
work, then we prefer monotonic clocks if two records cme from the same
boot. Wallclock is only used for comparing two records if they are
from different boots altogether.

> What would be the best technique for ensuring that my journal logs always
> display the 'best' time for log messages (either 'fake-hwclock' or NTP)? Do
> I always have to ensure that the journal is large enough to capture my
> initial time setting event in the first file?

There's no nice answer for that. We do not patch written out journal
records once they are written. They are considered immutable. This
means, from the journal's PoV if you generated a bunch of records in
the initrd or early boot (i.e. before /var/log/journal is available)
and you have no usable wallclock time, and you power cycle 10 times in a
row, then we have no indication about which of the 10 series of
recrods came in which order before the others.

To fix that we'd have to keep a separate log of boot ids or so
somewhere, which we could use as auxiliary source of truth if all we
have are bootids+monotonic time which came first by comparing boot
ids. But that would still not be perfect since we could write that out
only late (i.e. after /var becomes writable), so the order before that
could not be reconstructed either if the system doesn't get that far.

Also see:

> Any general details about how journald applies timestamps would also be
> greatly appreciated.

(btw, systemd-timesyncd does what fake-hwclock does automatically, and
also does SNTP. it should be fine for most usecases, no need to resort
to fake-hwclock)

Lennart Poettering, Berlin