[systemd-devel] Journal message timestamps

Dave Howorth systemd at howorth.org.uk
Tue Sep 8 14:13:22 UTC 2020

On Tue, 8 Sep 2020 07:18:15 -0400
"Kevin P. Fleming" <kevin at km6g.us> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 7:12 AM Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net>
> wrote:
>
> > your playground is in
> > /etc/systemd/system/fake-hwclock.service.d/myoverrides.conf
> >
> > and yes that is important so that you don#t have to redo your
> > changes after each and every update and way better than cloning the
> > whole unit-file in /etc/systemd/system/ so that reasonable upstream
> > changes get applied in teh future
> >
> > -------------------------
> >
> > /etc/systemd/system/fake-hwclock.service.d/myoverrides.conf:
> >
> > [Unit]
> > Before=systemd-journald.service
>
> ... and this is most easily done by using 'systemctl edit
> fake-hwclock.service', which will create the file in the proper
> location so you don't have to (and will handily cause a daemon reload
> as well).

Hi Mark, Reindl, Kevin, et al,

I have added

[Unit]
Before=systemd-journald.service

to a drop-in file in /etc/systemd/system/fake-hwclock.service.d/ so
hopefully it will get tested next time the machines reboot (they're
production data loggers so I don't want to reboot unnecessarily).

I had appreciated it should be done via an override file but thanks for
the warning. I'd forgotten about the edit command so I had done it the
hard way :) I don't think a daemon reload is necessary in this case,
since it only affects matters on the next and subsequent boots anyway.