[systemd-devel] .local searches not working

Mantas Mikulėnas grawity at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 23:02:11 UTC 2021

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021, 22:28 Phillip Susi <phill at thesusis.net> wrote:

> Silvio Knizek writes:
>
> > So in fact your network is not standard conform. You have to define
> > .local as search and routing domain in the configuration of sd-
> > resolved.
>
> Interesting... so what are you supposed to name your local, private
> domains?

.home.arpa is reserved for that purpose by IANA (as part of the Homenet
work, but explicitly stated that its usage is not limited to Homenet
protocols).

Though if you own a public domain there's nothing wrong with using a
subdomain of it for your private LAN, either.

  I believe Microsoft used to ( or still do? ) recommend using
> .local to name your domain if you don't have a public domain name, so
> surely I'm not the first person to run into this?

It could be that at some point they did. I've seen Active Directory domains
named "university.local" (even though they *did* have a public domain...)
But IIRC they went back on that recommendation.

Why does
> systemd-resolved not fall back to DNS if it can't first resolve the name
> using mDNS?  That appears to be allowed by the RFC.

Simply falling back for each individual query is probably not desirable
because it would also leak local hostnames for people who *do* use mDNS.

Systemd-resolved could implement the "check if local. SOA exists" probe
that AFAIK Apple does, I think there was a github thread about it...

... Actually, if you manually set an interface's search domain in resolved
to "local", doesn't that make it start using DNS for this domain? I cannot
test right now, but I'm *sure* I've seen something like that in resolved's
docs.