[systemd-devel] .local searches not working

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sat Apr 10 12:49:26 UTC 2021

On Fr, 09.04.21 15:20, Phillip Susi (phill at thesusis.net) wrote:

> Silvio Knizek writes:
>
> > So in fact your network is not standard conform. You have to define
> > .local as search and routing domain in the configuration of sd-
> > resolved.
>
> Interesting... so what are you supposed to name your local, private
> domains?

This draft RFC suggests .home or .corp:

https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-chapin-additional-reserved-tlds-02.txt

It never made it beyond a draft, but I think that#s already enough to
be pretty sure these domains unlikely will be used elsewhere.

RFC 6762, Appendix G suggests using .lan, .intranet, .internal and
.private.

RFC 8375 suggests .home.arpa. This is probably the RFC that is the
most official one, but OTOH its probably at the moment the least
widely used one. Still, probably the safest bet, though it does sound
a bit weird when used in a corporate context.

> I believe Microsoft used to ( or still do? ) recommend using
> .local to name your domain if you don't have a public domain name, so
> surely I'm not the first person to run into this?  Why does
> systemd-resolved not fall back to DNS if it can't first resolve the name
> using mDNS?  That appears to be allowed by the RFC.

You can enable this, just add ~local to the routing domains of the
relevant DNS server.

We won't do this automatically for security reasons, as locally scoped
names should not be routed to Internet DNS servers, as that leaks
pretty sensitive information about the local network infrastructur

Lennart Poettering, Berlin