[systemd-devel] systemctl reboot get terminated by signal 15

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Apr 28 15:19:34 UTC 2021

On So, 25.04.21 07:09, Pengpeng Sun (pengpengs at vmware.com) wrote:

> Hi Lennart,
>
> After modify journald.conf, got systemd log when the issue reproduced. Please find it in attachment.

Looking at the logs there seems to be a lot missing, in particular all
the debug output of PID 1 is eventually going away.

My educated guess: you are runnning "systemctl reboot" from user
context? i.e. some script you run as part of your user sesion? If so,
when the system goes down your user session of course will be
terminated. Thus it's a race: either your session (and its associated
services) are terminated via SIGTERM first, including the systemctl
command you issued, or the systemctl is quicker and exits before it
gets killed.

The net effect is the same: before we go down we need to terminate all
processes, of course. And user processes are terminated before sytem
processes, of course.

Lennart Poettering, Berlin