[systemd-devel] Antw: [EXT] [systemd‑devel] Mobile broadband modems support in systemd‑networkd

Ulrich Windl Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Fri Aug 20 07:15:45 UTC 2021

>>> "Bruce A. Johnson" <bjohnson at blueridgenetworks.com> schrieb am 19.08.2021 um
21:37 in Nachricht
<8926b5b1-6d52-cf73-8936-bb097d8743cd at blueridgenetworks.com>:
> I am trying to integrate an MBIM cellular modem (Sierra Wireless MC7455)
> into my project, and while there seem to be plenty of people doing the
> same thing, all of the references seem to point to using ModemManager to
> set up the connection and NetworkManager to manage the IP config
> (address, gateway, and DNS). I'd like to avoid having to add
> NetworkManager to my build, since I've been getting along nicely with
> systemd-networkd for my Ethernet and Wi-Fi interfaces (using iwd to
> manage the Wi-Fi connection). Is there any work afoot to get
> systemd-networkd to set up the IP address info in concert with
> ModemManager, or do I have to force NetworkManager to play nicely with
> systemd-networkd?

Isn't the trick that the WIFI driver or kernel doe most of the magic required to make WIFI work, while a modem driver typically does not know much about the modem, i.e. a cellular modem requires some "special treatment".

Dumb question: Does it work without systemd (i.e..: Do yoiu hgave some code that does all that handling)?

Regards,
Ulrich