[systemd-devel] How does journald talks to other services?

Nishant Nayan nayan.nishant2000 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 11:10:48 UTC 2021

Regarding the below point :
c) The service prints to stdout/stderr, but systemd attaches the service's
stdout/stderr to a pipe which is read by journald (using
sd_journal_stream_fd(3) from libsystemd). See [Service] StandardOutput= in
systemd.service(5).

I did not see StandardOutput field in [Service] sections of a service file,
for example sshd.service, but its logs are visible in journalctl.
Is it by default piped to journal and we need to explicitly mention it
(StandardOutput=)  only when we want to redirect it somewhere else?

Even in my self made service I did not mention StandardOutput=, but I can
see the logs in journalctl.

Is there a place where I can see .service file defaults ?

Nishant