[systemd-devel] why log_set_prohibit_ipc() is set in journald

Nishant Nayan nayan.nishant2000 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 05:51:40 UTC 2021

I have just started to learn journald and in its main function (in
journald.c) I encountered a function call "log_set_prohibit_ipc(true);"
In systemd source, I can see the declaration in src/basic/log.h:/*

If turned on, then we'll never use IPC-based logging, * i.e. never log to
syslog or the journal. We'll only * log to stderr, the console or kmsg
*/void log_set_prohibit_ipc(bool b);

I did not get this because Journald not writing to journal itself by
default is strange, isn't it?
What is the reason behind it?

Nishant