[systemd-devel] Why systemd-journald is creating '/var/log/journal/machine_id" directory when Storage=auto

Nishant Nayan nayan.nishant2000 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 29 12:56:02 UTC 2021

Also I was wondering where in the code does journald.config file changes
are parsed?
For example in the above code , the line :-
      if (s->storage == STORAGE_PERSISTENT)
Here, s->storage corresponds to 'Storage' option of conf file right?
How is it getting set when we edit the conf file?

Also, on doing "ls /run/log/journal/machine_id/"
I can see output as following
<some_big_number>.journal
<some_another_big_number>.journal
.
.
.
system.journal

Is 'system.journal' is the currently active journal and rest are archived
journals?

Nishant