[systemd-devel] Antw: [EXT] Re: [systemd‑devel] Run reboot as normal user

Mohamed Ali Fodha fodha.mohamed.ali at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 07:42:25 UTC 2021

According to this thread https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/11034,
kdbus can manage linux capabilities but dbus can't, isn't it?
Below is what I did in my binary

* r = sd_bus_open_system(&bus); if (r < 0) {         sm_error("Failed to
connect to system bus\n"); } r = sd_bus_call_method(bus,
 "org.freedesktop.systemd1",              "/org/freedesktop/systemd1",
           "org.freedesktop.systemd1.Manager",           "StartUnit",
                      &error,                                     &m,
                                     "ss",
       "reboot.target",
 "replace-irreversibly");*

This call returns -13 (#define EACCES 13 /* Permission denied */)
Below are the capabilities of the binary (hwmanager is called by regular
user)

*root at imx6quad:~# getcap /usr/sbin/hwmanager*

*/usr/sbin/hwmanager  =
cap_chown,cap_dac_override,cap_dac_read_search,cap_fowner,cap_kill,cap_net_bind_service,cap_net_admin,cap_net_raw,cap_sys_rawio,cap_sys_admin,cap_sys_boot,cap_sys_resource,cap_sys_time,cap_sys_tty_config,cap_syslog+eip*

Mohamed Ali