[systemd-devel] systemd v250 ignoring service.d overrides - service.d directories can no longer be a symlink?

Amish anon.amish at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 04:02:37 UTC 2021

Hello

Something changed in systemd v250 with respect to service.d override
directories.

It seems that these directories can no longer be a symlink to a directory.

And this change broke many of my services because they use overrides and
overrides stopped applying completely.

Scenario:
----------

I place all my override files in
/system.d/usr/lib/systemd/system/foo.service.d/{10-custom1.conf,20-custom2.conf,...}

This makes it easy for me to mange them in git as well as easy to manage
multiple overrides.

Then I create symlink /usr/lib/systemd/system/foo.service.d pointing to
/system.d/usr/lib/systemd/system/foo.service.d

This worked till systemd 249.

But it stopped working in systemd 250.

Systemd ignores the foo.service.d completely, if it is a symlink.

Is this a bug or a known change? (I could not locate mention of it in
NEWS file)

If a known change then is there any configuration which I can tweak to
allow foo.service.d as symlinks?

Otherwise I will have to replan whole structure and create symlinks for
each 10-custom1.conf, 20-custom2.conf, so on.

I use Arch Linux.

Regards,

Amish.