[systemd-devel] Antw: [EXT] Re: the need for a discoverable sub-volumes specification

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Tue Dec 28 19:02:38 UTC 2021

On Mon, Dec 27, 2021 at 3:40 AM Ulrich Windl
<Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de> wrote:

> Nachricht <662e1a92-beb4-e1f1-05c9-e0b38e40eb1e at suse.de>:

> > The way btrfs is used in openSUSE is based on systems from ten years
> > ago. A lot has changed since then. Now with the idea to have /usr on a
> > separate read-only subvolume the current model doesn't really work very
> > well anymore IMO. So I think there's a window of opportunity to change
> > the way openSUSE does things :-)
>
> Oh well, while you are doing so: Also improve support for a separate /boot
> volume when snapshotting.

Yeah how to handle /boot gives me headaches. We have a kind of
rollback, the possibility of choosing among kernels. But which kernels
are bootable depends on the /usr its paired with. We need a mechanism
to match /boot and /usr together, so that the user doesn't get stuck
choosing a kernel version for which the modules don't exist in an
older generation /usr. And then does this imply some additional
functionality in the bootloader to achieve it, or should this
information be fully encapsulated in Boot Loader Spec compliant
snippets?

--
Chris Murphy