[systemd-devel] udev blkid check on mmcblk0boot0 and boot1

Jeremy Linton jeremy.linton at arm.com
Tue Feb 2 22:13:15 UTC 2021

Hi,

On 2/2/21 1:46 PM, Alan Perry wrote:

> On 2/2/21 1:55 AM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>> On Mo, 01.02.21 16:36, Alan Perry (alanp at snowmoose.com) wrote:
>>> Hi, Per the udev rules, the blkid builtin is run on mmcblk*boot*
>>> devices to look for partition and filesystem. Those devices contain
>>> hardware-specific boot information and are unlikely to have anything
>>> on them that blkid would identify. Why isn't there a rule to exclude
>>> them from blkid? Is there some case that I am missing?
>> Probably noone who cares about MMC enough prepped a patch for this so
>> far. Also it probably doesn't matter too much... I mean, if blkid
>> doesn't find anything it doesn't find anything, so not much bad
>> happened? If this matters to you, and it's really clear that there is
>> unlikely anything blkid-recognizable on it, then by all means, please
>> send a PR!
>
> I have been looking into a problem that we occasionally see with hangs
> at boot time during the probe of
> mmcblk0boot0. Doing some searching, I have seen reports of similar hangs
> over the years, so I see a
> potential benefit of not doing the probe.
>
> Is the blkid/libblkid code robust enough that it could sanely handle
> whatever hardware-specific collection of
> bits representing the boot configuration that happens to be there?

Well I guess someone could put something like an efi system partition on
a mmc boot. In which case you would want to probe it.

OTOH, this really sounds like a determination of why the system is
hanging when its touching those partitions is in order.

(hang as in, does the kernel have a bug, or is it trying to update a
fat/etc dirty bit on a read only partition, etc?)