[systemd-devel] consider dropping defrag of journals on btrfs

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Feb 11 16:21:54 UTC 2021

Phillip Susi wrote on 11/02/2021 14:19:
> Looking at the archived journals though, I wonder why am I seeing so
> many unwritten areas?  Just the last extent of this file has nearly 4 mb
> that were never written to.  This system has never had an unexpected
> shutdown.  Attached is the extent map.

Are those journal files suffixed with a ~. Only ~ suffixed journals
represent a dirty journal file (i.e. from an unexpected shutdown).

Journals rotate for other reason too (e.g. user request, overall space
requirements etc.) which might explain this wasted space?

Just a thought.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie