[systemd-devel] User services won't start at login after switch from homed user to regular user

Rich Lucas rlucas11 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 15 22:51:42 UTC 2021

Hi,
I'm having a problem with user services not starting at login. I had initially set up my user using systemd-homed and everything was working fine, including some user services that I started at login (e.g., offlineimap, spotifyd). However, I wanted to move my home to a different disk (the original home used a full encrypted disk and I couldn't figure out how to have homed recognize the new disk as home) and decided to go back to a regular user rather than a homed user. So I removed the original user (the files were on the encrypted disk, so they weren't deleted), disabled systemd-homed.service, mounted the disk that had my files, created the new user (with a new encrypted home on a different disk, opened automatically through pam at login), copied all the files to the new home and then chowned the files (the user name was the same but the UID of the new user was the default 1000 instead of the default UID set by homed).

Everything works fine except that now none of the user services that previously worked will start at login. When I try to enable them, a symlink is created in .config/systemd/user/default.target.wants, but they are not started at login. They all start fine if started manually, but they won't start at login, even though systemctl --user list-unit-files says they are enabled.

I'm not 100% sure that this is due to the switch from the homed user to the regular user, but the services stopped working when I made that change. Any advice about getting these services working again?