[systemd-devel] Looking for known memory leaks triggered by stress testing add/remove/up/down interfaces

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Thu Feb 18 16:48:58 UTC 2021

  A colleague has reported the following apparent issue in a fairly
old (v230) version of systemd -- this is in a Yocto Project Wind River
Linux 9 build, hence the age of the package.

  As reported to me (and I'm gathering more info), the system was
being put through some "longevity testing" by repeatedly adding,
removing, activating and de-activating network interfaces. According
to the report, the result was heap space slowly but inexorably being
consumed.

  While waiting for more info, I'm going to examine the commit log for
systemd from v230 moving forward to collect any commits that address
memory leaks, then peruse them more carefully to see if they might
resolve the problem.

  I realize it's asking a bit for folks here to remember that far
back, but does this issue sound at all familiar? Any pointers that
might save me some time? Thanks.

rday