[systemd-devel] Q: Roles for a one-shot service

Ulrich Windl Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Thu Feb 25 07:12:47 UTC 2021

Hi!

I wonder: I'm thinking of a monitoring-type of one-shot service that should be run periodically to update some external status display with runtime data.
In addition to that periodic activations, I'd like to run the service also during boot and shutdown, possibly supplying a special parameter to indicate that a boot or shutdown is happening.
I'm unsure how to model that with systemd. Should I define one service or three services?
Any proposals?

Regards,
Ulrich Windl