[systemd-devel] avoid unmounts in unprivileged containers

Rodny Molina rodnymolina at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 19:28:47 UTC 2021

Thanks for your detailed answer / explanation Lennart, it's fully
consistent with my code-browsing findings.

I've been struggling myself with the problem that you alluded above to
identify "foreign" mountpoints. After banging my head against the wall for
a while i ended up implementing an heuristic based on the
major:minor-number field of the /proc/pid/mountinfo file: if the container
mountpoint being considered has a major:minor-id that matches those
major:minor-ids present in the host mount namespace, then this one is
likely a "foreign" mountpoint, and shouldn't be unmounted.

Obviously, this would force you to extend the current systemd mountInfo
parser. And there is a caveat as not all file-systems make use of a unique
/ differentiated ID for every new mountpoint (e.g. "/dev/null" fs always
use the same major:minor id across different mount namespaces), so there
could be false-positives, but that doesn't represent a problem in our case.
Here is the specific code if you want to check it out:
https://github.com/nestybox/sysbox-fs/blob/master/mount/infoParser.go#L828

Please let me know if you ever find a better approach.

cheers,

/Rodny

--
/Rodny