[systemd-devel] Antw: [EXT] emergency shutdown, don't wait for timeouts

Ulrich Windl Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Mon Jan 4 12:42:38 UTC 2021

>>> Germano Massullo <germano.massullo at gmail.com> schrieb am 27.12.2020 um
14:26 in
Nachricht <df991822-83cf-85e1-5bc0-c6ec99f9cac0 at gmail.com>:
> Good day, I recently joined apcupsd (APC UPS Power Control Daemon)
> package maintainers on Fedora/CentOS/RHEL.
> After a power failure, apcupsd shuts down the system with a command
> almost identical to
> shutdown ‑h ‑H now
> Usually when you normally shutdown your system, you may notice certain
> services taking too much time to terminate and triggering a timeout
> value before systemd forces them to terminate. I would like to ask if
> there is a way to force the system to shutdown without waiting for these
> timeouts in case an emergency like a power failure.

Basically if the UPS cannot provide power for at least 3 minutes, it's simply
the wrong UPS (IMHO).
Somedatabases need several minutes to shut down cleanly.
Despite of that you could prefix your shutdown command with a sync, keeping
fingers crossed while watching how far it (the regular shutdown) gets...